Offshore Geotechnical Investigation for the Charlotte County 10 Year Beach and Inlet Management Plan
AVS Role: Vibracoring, Geotechnical Investigation and Analysis, Reporting
Charlotte County completed construction of their first Erosion Control Project, restoring three critically eroding beach segments along Manasota Key, Knight Island and Don Pedro Island, using sand dredged to restore the Stump Pass 1980 channel alignment and from the ebb shoal borrow area. The County ten completed maintenance of the project to offset the erosion losses from storms and hurricanes and as well as background erosion. The County embarked on the next 10 year management plan for Stump Pass and the adjacent beaches.
Our role was to assist our client and the County in completing the formulation, design, and permitting of the plan by providing a reconnaissance level offshore sand source search in Phase 1 and then a detailed level offshore sand source search in Phase 2.
Scope of Work:
- Mobilized our research vessel, M/V Thunderforce, vibracore equipment and crew for vibracore sampling operations offshore Charlotte County
- Provided support crew boat for project support
- Utilized our large pneumatic coring machine and a penetrometer to measure all coring advance rates and penetration depths
- Collected vibracore samples at 33 locations
- Split and delivered all collected cores
- Prepared and submitted a geotechnical survey field work report, including survey methods and results which was utilized in designing the offshore borrow areas